Future of Sustainability 2030
Welcome to the Future of Sustainability in 2030
Yunzhu (Carrie) Ma
Kay Mei Tan
"Sustainable Development is a process of change in which the exploitation of resources, the direction of investments, the orientation of technological development; and institutional change are all in harmony and enhance both current and future potential to meet human needs and aspirations." from the United Nations Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development: Our Common Future (Brundtland Commission) http://www.un-documents.net/ocf-02.htm#I
Or in other words:
Sustainable Development meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs
Sustainable development deals with Social Equity, the Economy, and the Environment
- What is the rate of Ice melt?
- What is the urgent issue relating to sustainability?
- What can we do as a individual?
- What is measurable?
- What are current international regulations regarding sustainability?
- What are the current major ways of power generation
- What is the most efficient power generation method in terms of cost and CO2 emission?
- What to extent cost of renewable energy will be cheeper?
- What are the key technologies?
- Can technological development solve environmental issues dramatically?
- What is the outlook of world energy in the next 20 years?
- How much oil is left in the world? When will oil run out?
- Is water the Key Limiting Factor?
- Will other natural resource, other than energy, play serious roles in the future sustainability?
- What are the other threats to sustainability?
- How do human beings interact with/affect natural resource?
- What are the energy trends in India and China?
- What are the impacts of climate change to the future sustainability?
- What is the most important value for sustainability?
- What is the method evaluating values?
- What are the values of the worlds leading polluters?
- What is the most important pollutant?
- Which Fossil Fuels give off most Carbon Dioxide? What are the worst Fossil Fuels?
- Sustainable Resources
- Alternative Energy
- Technological Development
- Regulations for Sustainability